Tuesday, August 11, 2009

RSS Feeding & Google Reader

I've had quite an exciting experience with Google Reader. It's a completely new concept to me this idea of receiving updates from all the sites that I've subscribed to, and it's one that I find quite enjoyable already.
Firstly logging on to Google Reader without subscribing to the site was very easy since I already had a 'Google' account. It turns out the Gmail email address I created a while ago is becoming more useful after all.. Then, I went searching through categories to explore what was available. I added one category on Christianity which I thought would be nice as it had a few feeds of daily Bible verses - some words for the soul each day! I found it to be quick and easy to find what I wanted. I then added other subscriptions including news sites such as news.com.au, and other international news sites which means I can read all the latest news from both Australia and elsewhere in one place!
I think that's what makes RSS feeds useful - being able to access everything you're interested in on a single website.

RSS Feeds in a way reminds me of the topic of 'linking' from last week. I see the feeds as a link which constantly updates in a reader and whatever gets published on the blog or news site for eg. then gets updated on my reader. A link indeed ey?

All that being good, I still can't get over the fact that I haven't worked out why my KMTech Blog as well as Nancy's and Anne's won't show up as feeds for me to subscribe to...will I ever get over it!?

2 comments:

  1. hrm.....i have the same issue too mate.

    Um....lols i practically subscribed all the IKM technology topics from the learning hub. hehe Some worked some doesnt.....not sure whats going on there.

    Did you notice something....that little orange icon for Newsfeeder? I went to some site and i noticed some site have the icon for you to automatically subscribe it to your feeder (in our case we're using Google Reader).

    Anyway....see you in class soon.

    xooxxox anne dao :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well I managed to subscribe to the IKM topics given on the learning hub....but not all of them so I'm not sure which you had trouble with...

    Yes I talked about that orange RSS icon in my next blog!!! Handy ey??

    ReplyDelete