Tuesday, August 11, 2009

IKM Tech RSS Feed


In choosing a blog to follow, it has to be something entertaining. I'm not going to sit and reading something that looks or reads like an essay when I could be reading something informative and entertaining at the same time. That's the good thing about most popular blogs I think and which is why I've chosen one which interests me:
Research Buzz
; http://www.researchbuzz.org/wp/

Visually, it doesn't look very exciting but it covers news about search engines, databases and other information collections. When Google for example has a new feature, this blog is sure to talk about it. One thing I dislike about the site is that it doesn't allow readers to comment. I think that eliminates one interactive aspect of blogging. The site provides many ways of finding something you might like to read, either through a search box, listed categories or tags which are a feature on most blogs I can imagine. It also helps viewers with options of staying connected. There's the option button "RSS Feeds" at the top right side which is in the image on the right. It allowed me to subscribe straight onto my Google reader which I found to be helpful. They also allow for email subscriptions which I think are for those who don't use RSS feeds and prefer receiving the occassional junk mail!

What I found interesting is that in 2 days, there were 3 blogs related to new search offerings on Flickr, Delicious and Google. It amazes me how often search engines update their features. Most of the time it happens without me noticing!

Aside from adding this to my Google Reader, I've added Sal's blog feed. Unfortunately I can't add Nancy and Anne's because their blogs aren't registering as feeds, just websites. There has to be something we're missing - I've tried using Feedburner to resolve the issue but it won't create a feed for it because Blogger isn't saying that it's a feed. Looking through all the settings in Blogger, the help files in Blogger they all say to have Feed Settings on Full. I've tried making my blog public to see if it does anything, but no. I think that if the technology works how it's supposed to, it can be a very useful tool especially when working as a virtual team or groups work work from home and share their work, documents, ideas etc. through blogs. I can see how it would work and in upcoming weeks when everyone gets to the tasks I think it can be a benefitial experience.

3 comments:

  1. What do you guys think? Did I pick a good site? Did you have similar experiences to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys were too concerned with the security settings, and you probably messed up something there. Leave it open I say, open web promotes good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tried that! and we did exactly what Mr John Terrell told us to do which was to keep our blogs private. ALL THIS EFFORT FOR JUST 4 or 5 PEOPLE to read! sux... and then he puts our blogs up for our classmates to read on the Learning Hub...what a noob! he told us to keep our settings private and i'm leaving it that way..

    ReplyDelete