Thursday, August 13, 2009

Wiki - What have I done?!

I never thought I'd bother doing this but I've joined Wikipedia! For so long I have taken Wikipedia for granted as containing 100% truth, but in my search for a poorly written Wikipedia article, I've come across various issues which surround Wikipedia.

Where not to find a poorly written Wikipedia article..
Well I noticed a handy link on the left side of the screen which is 'Random article'. You can come across some pretty bazarre articles through that link! I continued to click it until I found something - then I noticed I was getting side tracked to what I was supposed to do!

Debates regarding the inaccuracies in Wikipedia
There's a link also on the left side of the screen called 'Recent changes', which shows a long list of articles which have recently been updated, or where discussions have recently occurred. I then discovered that behind the face of articles on Wikipedia are heated debates on various things such as missing citations, citations which aren't reliable and relevant information. I click on one of them: 'Catholic_Church', where I found numerous discussions on dividing views on what should be included, such as one person who stated that there was too much of recent history in the history section and that there should be a balance with pre-19th century events and more recent history. I've seen how some people have edited some text but found them to be later changed - some improved further, whereas some were not happy with the changes.

Where to find poorly written Wikipedia articles?
Well where's the poorly written wiki then? I found a link somewhere on the 'Recent changes' page titled 'Wikipedia:Challenges'. It's the perfect place to find articles which need updating!

The first on the list in need of changes was Pleasure. It was said that the Wikipedia article on Pain is much more privileged as it has more information. I won't attempt updating it as they're requesting an expert on the topic to fix it up and maybe start it from scratch. Therefore, I opened the 'Edit the Web 2.0 Adventure' task on the Learning Hub to make a few changes on one of the pages there.

Giving editing a go
Editing is EASY! It's just like me editing this blog in future (like I have edited my previous blogs). I could see there were other contributors from the class and so I went into the Unit 4 of the blog to edit a few sentences. Some of the changes I made were:

Previous:
Social bookmarking can help solve some of these problems.
Current:
Social bookmarking can help you solve some of these problems.

Previous:
They are a good way to keep track of websites you like so that you can return to them later.
Current:
They are a good way to keep track of websites which you would like to return to at a later date.

Previous:
Social bookmarking can help solve some of these problems. As well as storing your bookmarks on a website, it allows you use 'tags' or keywords as a way of describing what a site is about, or its relevance to you.
Current:
Social bookmarking can help solve some of these problems. As well as storing your bookmarks on a website, it allows you to use 'tags' or keywords as a way of describing what a site is about, or its relevance to you.

Enough proof-reading and fixing up of other people's work....it's reminding me too much of my dark past (Education degree)!! Bring on twittering!

Nancy, Anne, Sal - have you guys got Twitter accounts yet? Let me know once you do so we can all be connected and read each others miniblogs.

4 comments:

  1. One massive ass blog but hey - i've got a skinny format! Not only that, I had lots to say...

    Did you guys see any bad Wikipedia articles? Anyone have the guts to edit? I think I'd make a bad article worse....so no editing for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, seen some terrible ones in the past, like I was linked to articles where celebs have weird diseases and stuff - you can see how this kinda stuff could get the rumor mill going :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah...i've heard of a celebrity being reported as dead, and appearing live on TV that day to say "guys, it was reported on the internet that I died this morning, but it's obviously not true because I'm still here!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was on wikipedia too by the way....

    ReplyDelete