Friday, September 4, 2009

Playing around with Google Maps

I've actually used Google Maps a number of times before. I just love working with maps, and seeing what's out there. Geography was something I wanted to persue in Year 12, but it wasn't on offer that year :(

But anyway, I've learnt how to make my own map on Google Maps and I've embedded it here!


View My First Google Map in a larger map

I decided to do a map of my suburb - Mill Park. I've spent a significant amount of time in my life living here, although I wouldn't say that this is where I've spent most of my life living. I've lived in many other areas of Melbourne too. I quite enjoyed the features it offers, such as placing landmarks. I've placed landmarks on important/significant places for me in the area. I decided to keep my map private. I didn't want my house to be shown to the public! I think that's an important feature of Google Maps, as it gives the option to make things public or private.

Now I'm off to work, I shall do another map of my own showing where I last went for a holiday....OOHH I'm excited. I loved my past holidays and can't wait to share it with you in one blog!

3 comments:

  1. LOLS gee u sure love google map.

    AHAHAHA u kno when i first glanced at the map....i thought i was looking inside a brain. your area seems like its well constructed ...so curvy though. lols

    but great job jason. I find it cool. It reminds of ScienceWorks they have a machine there where you can browse your house but its not google map.....its Google earth....which is something else i find fascinating. lols

    anne dao

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.... one thing about Google Maps is that when you have the street map view, you can get an idea of the design of the streets, and yes, Mill Park does look like a brain with all the curves! Not so many straight streets like in the inner suburbs.

    I went to Science Works last year but then realised that I'm getting too old for it!!! When did you go? I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Google Earth. Everyone download it!!! I find that I can navigate more smoothly with Google Earth than Google Maps. Google Earth however doesn't (as far as I know) has street map views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i noticed that my map was too big...I think I chose 'large' for image size :(

    I'll leave it anyway - can still see the placemarks!

    ReplyDelete